Life Hazard Use Registration
Register your business with the New Jersey Division of Fire Safety as a Life Hazard Use (LHU). In line with New Jersey's initiative for State business transactions to be paperless, the registration process will be done on-line.
You can begin the registration process through the DCA's website at the following link:
Life Hazard Use Registration Links
The following is a guidance document from the NJ Division of Fire Safety:
RIMS Business Owner Letter
The Fire Prevention Bureau is responsible for conducting smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm inspections making sure residential or commercial applicants follow the NJ State law when you are purchasing and/or renting a property in order to obtain a certificate of occupancy.
- Submit completed application form.
- Pay fee - using credit card, exact cash or checks made payable to: Borough of Tinton Falls
- The applicant will receive an inspection date.
- All inspections are done weekday mornings.
- Inspection requirements are:
- Smoke Detection Certificate expires 60 days from date of inspection.
- Inspection Fails:
- The inspector will explain the reason(s) the inspection failed. Once you have resolved the issue(s), you are responsible for contacting the office to schedule a reinspection date.
- Inspection Passes:
- If there are no outstanding issues, the final Smoke Detection Certificate can be picked up, along with the Continued Certificate of Occupancy, from the Code Enforcement-Zoning office after 36-72 hours from the inspection date.
Fill-In Fire Prevention Form