Marriage/Civil Union License


1. You must make an appointment to come in to apply for your license. Our hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. NO WEEKEND HOURS. Both applicants must come in together to apply with one witness who knows both applicants and is also over the age of 18. The witness may be a family member.  

2. Either applicant has to be a resident of Tinton Falls. If either applicant is from out of state they must apply in the Town in which the ceremony will take place. A license may never be used outside of New Jersey and a license issued from another state may never be used in New Jersey. Your application will only stay on file for a period of six months, except that is, at the time of application, the couple indicates a request to have the six month period extended to a maximum of one (1) year.

3. There is a three day (72 hours) waiting period before you will be able to pick up your license. Weekends are included in the three days. If a Ceremony is scheduled for a Saturday or a Sunday, the application must be made no later than the preceding Tuesday. However, a Superior Court Judge has the authority to waive all or part of the 72 hour waiting period in cases of emergency, upon satisfactory proof. This allowance can be utilized in the case of military personnel as well.

4. A license cannot be issued to a minor under the age of 18 years, unless the parents or guardian of the minor certify in the presence of two reputable witnesses. If a minor is under the age of 16, the consent required above must be approved in writing by any Judge of the Superior Court, Chancery Division, Family Part.

5. You will need to bring the following with you when you apply for your license:

        A. There is a fee of $28.00. Cash or Check ONLY. Checks made payable to The Borough of Tinton Falls.

        B. A certified copy of your Birth Certificate, Passport or Military I.D.

        C. A Drivers License or some type of I.D. with a signature on it (credit card, County I. D. etc.).

        D. One witness over the age of 18 that knows both applicants (can be a family member over 18).

        E. Social Security Number. You do not need to have your card, as long as you know the number.

        F. Proof of residency from either applicant. If license does not have a correct address on it you can use a utility bill, tax bill etc.

        G. If either applicant was previously Married, in a Domestic Partnership or in a Civil Union, proof that it has been dissolved is needed.

6.  After your ceremony you may need to have a certified copy of your license. This may be obtained from the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the town that the ceremony has taken place. If the ceremony happened in Tinton Falls, you may request a certified copy from us. The cost for a certified copy is $10.00.

For any questions or to make an appointment please call 732-542-3400 Ext. 255 and ask for: Katie Kesselman, Deputy Registrar.  You can also check with State of New Jersey for a Marriage/Civil Union/Domestic Partnership application.